The Publisher Research Council meets the needs of fast changing consumer reading behaviour through linked ES hub and currency donor research surveys
Who Are We?
The Publisher Research Council (PRC) is a non-profit company that represents the interests of both print and online publishers in South Africa. As a JIC (Joint Industry Council), we have representatives from Government, Advertisers and the AMF (Advertising Media Forum) serving on our technical committees.
We are owned by the major publishing houses and members include Tiso Blackstar Group, CTP Caxton, Independent Newspapers, Media24 and Associated Magazines. Currently the PRC members publish more than 700 newspapers and magazines in four different languages.
What We Do:
The PRC provides innovative “Gold Standard” Reader Audience Measurement founded on global and local best-in-class practice, expertise and resources.
We conduct large scale, representative audience and reading efficacy research on behalf of our members. This data is provided to bureaus who in turn supply media planning and crosstab software to media agencies and advertisers to inform effective advertising investment.
In 2017, we conducted six studies with over 76 000 respondents.
In 2018, we pioneered media research fusion in South Africa.
Publisher Research Council Mandate
- Commission and co-ordinate research which is required by, or is relevant to, the advertising, marketing and media industries.
- Commission, develop and provide an accepted cross platform readership currency research for the use of the advertising, marketing and media industries.
- Facilitate the incorporation of audited circulation data so that this metric can be synchronised with the readership panel measurement.
- Promote and maintain fair, reasonable and proper standards of audience research for print and digitally published media.
- Foster and maintain innovation in terms of research development.
- Support and foster additional collaborative media industry-wide research.
- Advance relationships and collaborate with other industry bodies to develop cross platform media research, including but not limited to IAB, BRC, MMA, AIP, MASA, AMF and ABC.
- Expand the base of membership and utilise membership contributions to fund ongoing media industry research.
- Educate the media planning and buying industry in respect of the utilisation of the findings of the research and the value and role of print and digitally published media formats.
- Develop and collate case studies, articles and white papers demonstrating the value of print and digitally published media.